Date: Friday, March 8, 2019
Time: 11:30 a.m.
Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc. (ADS)
173 Industrial Pkwy North
Muncy, PA 11756
Tori Durliat, ADS, Director of Marketing
Senator Yaw is the Chair of the PA Senate Environmental Resources & Energy Committee and is the Vice Chair of the Agriculture & Rural Affairs Committee. ADS manufactures thermoplastic (high-density polyethylene (HDPE), and polypropylene (PP) pipe in diameters up to 60 inches for storm water drainage and sanitary sewer systems.
Key Discussion Points:
- Fair and open competition for state and federally funded projects will be discussed. When open competition is allowed, material costs for public projects can drop dramatically and also provide the best possible product. Across the country, ‘open competition’ could save $22.3 billion for storm water in pipe material costs during the next 10 years.
- The trend by Departments of Transportation’s throughout the nation is to improve drainage systems while controlling costs by using thermoplastic pipe. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) national construction and maintenance regulation allows the use of alternative types of pipe on federal-aid highway projects.
- Use of recycled plastics to manufacturer pipe will be addressed. Every year, ADS uses nearly 400 million pounds of recycled plastic to make its products.
- Education initiatives to bring more students into the plastics workforce that includes manufacturing and engineering jobs.
- ADS is the world’s largest manufacturer of corrugated high-density polyethylene (HDPE) pipe for gravity storm drain applications.
- S. based with headquarters in Ohio, the company has 60 manufacturing facilities and over 4,500 employees.
- Muncy, PA plant has ~110 employees
- ADS manufacturers 3 to 60-inch diameter thermoplastic pipe for a variety of applications.
- Drainage – Roadway, Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Agricultural, Mining, Waste Management, Athletic Turf & Recreation, etc.
- Green Building – North America’s largest user of post-consumer recycled HDPE material, every year using some 400 million pounds of discarded bottles to make its products.
- Sanitary Sewers – SaniTite HP Pipe for large diameter sanitary sewer applications.
- Benefits of Thermoplastic Pipe
- It offers superior long-term performance at less cost.
- Upfront Cost Savings – Studies show that states can lower total installed costs by 10-30% just by having material competition.
- Long-Term Cost Savings – Thermoplastic pipe is durable and won’t corrode or breakdown over time. It is expected to have a service life well in excess of 100-years.