Senate Committee Discusses Carbon Monoxide Detectors

HARRISBURG – The Senate Urban Affairs and Housing Committee today held a public hearing on Senate Bill 920, legislation relating to the installation of carbon monoxide detectors, according to Committee Chairman, State Senator Gene Yaw (R-Lycoming).

Senate Bill 920 will require all single family homes that utilize fossil fuel appliances or heating, have a fireplace or have an attached garage, to install a carbon monoxide detector in the home prior to the sale of the home. The legislation also requires multi-family homes, such as apartment units, with fossil fuel heaters, fireplaces or attached garages to install carbon monoxide detectors.

“Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas that kills and injures thousands of people every year,” Yaw said. “In addition to discussing the provisions contained in Senate Bill 920, this hearing provided an opportunity to listen to people on the front lines who deal with monoxide-related impacts on a daily basis. The only way to prevent this from happening is through education and having a detector installed.”

“Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poison deaths in the nation and Pennsylvania has the unfortunate distinction of being a national leader in deaths and injuries as a result of this silent killer,” said Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers, who testified at the hearing. “With these results in mind, it is my opinion that passage of the carbon monoxide alarm ordinance in Philadelphia has improved the public health and welfare of our citizens, as much as any other action taken by the City in recent years. It is very important that Pennsylvania act quickly to implement a statewide law that strengthens requirements for carbon monoxide alarms in homes,” Ayers added.

Contact: Nick Troutman
(717) 787-3280

Back to Top