HARRISBURG – State Senator Gene Yaw (R- Bradford, Lycoming, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Union counties) today announced that 10 volunteer fire departments and associations in the 23rd Senate district will be the recipients of state funding.
The grants, awarded by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) Bureau of Forestry, help rural communities protect life and resources by aiding against the threat of fires in forests and other underdeveloped areas.
“Our local firefighters and emergency responders are the first line of defense for protecting our residents and communities from the threat of fire,” Yaw said. “Ensuring that they are properly equipped is paramount. I am pleased that DCNR approved release of these funds.”
The following grants were approved by DCNR in Yaw’s District:
- Bradford: Ulster Sheshequin Fire Association, Ulster, $4,000;
- Lycoming: Eldred Township Volunteer Fire Co., $5,000; Old Lycoming Township Volunteer Fire Co., $2,000; Plunketts Creek Township Volunteer Fire Department, $2,579;
- Sullivan: Mildred Volunteer Fire Co., $7,500;
- Susquehanna: Great Bend Hose Co. No. 1, $3,879;
- Union: Union Township Fire Co., Winfield, $7,000
According to DCNR, aid is granted on a cost-share basis, with recipients supplying matching funds. The bureau will begin accepting applications for 2013’s grant program next spring.
Contact: Rita Zielonis