Senator Yaw E-Newsletter

View this email in a browser


Dear Friends,

Hello! Thank you for subscribing to my E-newsletter. I am honored to serve the 23rd Senate District and look forward to working with you toward building a better future for Pennsylvania!

This E-newsletter serves to keep you updated on what is happening throughout Bradford, Lycoming, Sullivan, Tioga and Union counties and what I am doing as your state senator in Harrisburg. I hope that you will find this E-newsletter helpful, and if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Gene Yaw
State Senator


Click here to find the latest information on coronavirus from the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

THIS MORNING: “Tri-County Experience” Focus of Public Hearing on Expanding Broadband Access Across Region

The Center for Rural Pennsylvania Board of Directors will hold a virtual public hearing this morning (Thursday, February 18), beginning at 10AM, to learn more about the efforts to expand broadband access in rural Pennsylvania, with a focus on the role of electric cooperatives, economic development entities, and educational organizations.

We know there are challenges to deploying broadband in rural areas, but there are some great local initiatives, such as Tri-County Rural Electric Cooperative’s “Tri-Co Connections,” that are working to close the digital divide. Today’s hearing will highlight the work of Tri-Co Connections and other local initiatives to provide insights into how they are helping their rural communities get connected.

The public hearing will be held via Zoom Webinar. Attendees are asked to please register in advance at: 

UPDATE: PA Health Department Makes Changes in Effort to Speed up Vaccine Rollout

While vaccine supply from the federal government remains limited, the PA Department of Health is working to ensure the vaccine is provided in a way that is ethical, equitable and efficient.

Frequently asked questions can be found here.

In Case You Missed It…

IRRC Calls for Delay of RGGI, Questions Wolf’s Authority to Impose Carbon Tax… the independent commission charged with reviewing proposed state rules and regulations today called for a one-year moratorium on the implementation of Governor Wolf’s mandate that Pennsylvania join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI). [READ MORE]

Sen. Yaw Discusses Legislative Priorities During Zoom Call with Lycoming County Medical Society…During a Zoom discussion last week with members of the Lycoming County Medical Society (LCMS) I identified a few of my legislative priorities for the 2021-2022 session. The heroin and opioid crisis continues to devastate our residents and our communities, and the COVID-19 pandemic has amplified the crisis in Pennsylvania. [READ MORE]

CFA Accepting Applications For Act 13 Watershed Restoration, Mine Reclamation, Sewage, Flood Mitigation, Recreation Grants…Eligible entities are encouraged to apply for the funding, which is paid for by natural gas drillers and allotted to the state’s Marcellus Legacy Fund. [READ MORE]

PA American Water Accepting Applications For 2021 Environmental Grant Program…PA American Water is now accepting applications for the company’s 2021 Environmental Program. Applications are due March 31. The program offers funding for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and groundwater supplies in local communities. Visit the PA American Water Environmental Program webpage for all the details. Questions should be directed to:

Pennsylvania’s Shared-Ride Program

Kimberly Smith, Safety Press Officer
PennDOT District 3-0

For older Pennsylvanians, the shared-ride program enables senior citizens 65 years of age and older to use shared-ride, demand-responsive (normally curb-to-curb) services and pay only a small portion of the regular shared-ride fare. Senior citizens or an approved third-party sponsor pay 15 percent of the fare, and the Lottery Fund pays the remaining 85 percent on local shared-ride transportation service. The shared-ride program discount is available in every county of the state during public transportation shared-ride service hours, which are determined locally.

To qualify for the reduced fare, seniors must be at least 65 years of age and be able to supply one of the eligible proofs of age to their local shared-ride provider. Prior-day advance registration is required, and service is available to anyone who either pays the fare or for whom a human service agency pays the fare.

To see which providers offer this service in your area, check the PennDOT Service Map.

Facebook Twitter/X Instagram Website

2024 © Senate of Pennsylvania | | Privacy Policy