HARRISBURG – State Sen. Gene Yaw (R-23) today reminded area residents of a new virtual financial series designed to help consumers become more informed about their finances.
The weekly series, titled “Midweek Money Matters,” is hosted by the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) and will address a variety of financial topics related to saving and investing, budgeting, avoiding scams, and practical ways to navigate financial decisions.
Midweek Money Matters will be presented on the following topics:
Investing 101: Bonds
November 10 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
November 11 from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM
Budgeting: Making Investing Part of the Budget
November 17 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
November 18 from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM
Black Friday Scams: What To Be Aware Of
November 24 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
November 25 from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM
Register for any of these presentations by visiting the Midweek Money Matters event page.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff will also be hosting and participating in numerous virtual presentations for groups of senior citizens, veterans, service providers, and the public throughout the month of November to promote financial capability. All November outreach events will be held virtually and in partnership with the listed organizations. The events are open to the public unless otherwise noted.
Virtual Events for General Audiences
Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online – A program designed to help build cyber awareness and how to keep your information safe and secure online is vitally important for everyone. This presentation, which covers key topics like using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely, will be presented:
- Cleve J. Fredricksen Library (Cumberland County) on November 16 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM and November 23 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Register by visiting the Business & Career Center’s event page.
Avoiding Scams and ID Theft – A program that looks at how identities are stolen or compromised and identifies ways to protect yourself from common scams and fraud – will be presented:
- Brandywine Community Library (Berks County) on November 10 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link.
- Slippery Rock Community Library (Butler County) on November 12 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Contact Karen Pierce for an invite at 724-738-9179 or email@example.com.
Spending Plans – A Road to Financial Success – This presentation focuses on the need for a spending plan to achieve financial goals. We discuss the wants and needs; setting SMART goals; creating a spending plan; putting the plan into action; as well as periodically reviewing goals and spending plans in order to ensure that you can stay on track – will be presented:
- Oley Valley Community Library (Berks County) on November 10 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Register by calling 484-491-1278
STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow) – This program discusses retirement planning. The goal is to help you determine what your retirement goals are and how to help you get there. No matter where you are in the timeline for retirement, early career, mid-career or late career, know that it’s never too late to STaRT – will be presented:
- Delaware County Library (Delaware County) on November 17 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Register by visiting the Delco Libraries website.
Virtual Events For Senior Citizens
Avoiding Scams and ID Theft – will be presented:
- Mansfield Senior Center (Tioga County) on November 4 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Open to Senior Center members. To participate contact Dawn Vetter, Senior Center Manager at 570-662-2130.
- Lancaster Neighbor Senior Center (Lancaster County) on November 6 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Open to Senior Center members. For information and to participate contact Vasthi Dominguez, Senior Center Manager at 717-299-3943.
Fraud BINGO – A fun and interactive virtual presentation that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment and other financial fraud by playing a familiar game: Bingo – will be presented:
- Southern Blair Senior Center on November 5 from 10:45 AM to 11:45 AM. Open to Senior Center members. For more information contact Kelly Benton at 814-317-5181.
Reverse Mortgages – What Can You Expect? – Topics in this presentation include: What is a Reverse Mortgage, what do I need to qualify, what the procedures are for obtaining and retaining a reverse mortgage, financial requirements, alternative options to consider, what to avoid, drawbacks, your obligations and how you can repay the debt – will be presented on November 5 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM with the PA LINK (Butler, Lawrence, Mercer Counties) and Butler County Area Agency on Aging. Contact Brittany Buzzelli at 724-487-5104 or firstname.lastname@example.org to attend.
Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online – will be presented:
- Jewish Federation of Greater Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on November 12 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Open to Senior Center members.
Spending Plans – A Road to Financial Success – will be presented:
- Philadelphia Senior Center on November 17 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. To participate contact 215-546-5879.
Virtual Events for Organizations and Service Providers
Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online – will be presented:
- Breast Cancer Support Services (Berks County) on November 2 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Open to members of the Breast Cancer Support Services.
In partnership with the Girl Scouts in the Heart of Pennsylvania, the following presentations will be available to Girl Scouts to earn financial literacy badges:
Financing Your Goals and Dreams will be presented to Girl Scouts Grades 6-10 on November 2 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Let’s Take Charge! Understanding Your Credit will be presented to Girl Scout Ambassadors on November 16 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
To register contact email@example.com or 800-692-7816.
STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow) – will be presented:
- PACareerLink (Crawford County) on November 10 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Open to members.
Investing in Women – a presentation focusing on the unique financial challenges women face in banking and budgeting, credit, and investments – will be presented with Neighborhood Allies (Allegheny County) on November 16 from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM. Register on the Investing in Women event page.
Learn more about the free, non-commercial programs and presentations available or contact DoBS to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Visit the department’s calendar of events to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For more state-related news and information, visit Senator Yaw’s website at www.SenatorGeneYaw.com or on Facebook and Twitter @SenatorGeneYaw.
CONTACT: Rita Zielonis, Chief of Staff 717-787-3280